Application Advice

Most work involving alterations to buildings will require planning permission, building regulation approval, or both before work can begin.

It is best practice to check if you require a building application for your project. For common major construction projects on your home, such as extensions or conversions, applications are necessary.

If you are unsure where your project stands, our handy guide also provides helpful information about planning rules and permitted development rights.

You can also find out if you require a Building Control application for common building work projects for the home by visiting the planning portal linked below.

You can also telephone or email us with your enquiry and we can tell you if your project requires an application.

Examples of work that requires an application
  • All new buildings except agricultural buildings
  • All extensions no matter how small
  • Some conservatories and porches
  • Basements and basement extensions
  • All loft conversions, roof extensions, balconies and roof terraces
  • All garage conversions
  • Barn conversions
  • Subdividing a house into flats
  • Converting flats back into a house
  • Creating an annex
  • Creating a new or ensuite bathroom or cloakroom
  • Installing a new kitchen
  • Taking out a loadbearing wall
  • Taking out a non-loadbearing wall if it separates a room from your hall, staircase or landing
  • New installation or replacement of a heating system or any boiler, regardless of fuel type
  • New installation or replacement of an oil tank
  • Installation of a new bathroom if existing plumbing is altered or if new plumbing is installed
  • Installation of fixed air conditioning systems
  • Installation of additional radiators to some existing heating systems
  • Replacement fuse boxes, any new electrical installation connected to the fuse box and alterations to electrical installations in bathrooms around the bath or shower
  • Installing roof lights
  • Replacement window and door units
  • Replacement of roof coverings on pitched and flat roofs even if this is just like for like
  • Replacing your floor
Examples of work that may not require an application

Please note, we recommend you check with us to make sure work does not need further approval.

  • Replacement windows
  • Replacing features like for like
  • Installing thermal insulation
  • Balanced flues
  • Lining a flue
  • Attached conservatories, porches, greenhouses, carports and covered areas
  • Detached garages and garden sheds

Some work can be carried out without informing Building Control if you're using a registered installer from a Competent Persons Scheme (CPS). The CPS allows individuals and enterprises to self-certify that their work follows building regulations, instead of submitting a building notice.

For more information on the Competent Persons Scheme, visit the Competent Persons Register.

Last updated 22 April 2022